Location and Orbit
Atmosphere and Magnetosphere
Missions to Mars
References & Links
Life on Mars?
Check out the answers!
- 1) Mars is named for the Roman
A) God of War.
B) tribal king who discovered it.
C) Goddess of Love.
D) Thunder God.
- 2) Percival Lowell is famous because
A) he discovered three moons of Jupiter.
B) he published many theoretical papers on Mars which has since been proven correct.
C) he was a very persuasive writer who suggested a Martian civilization.
D) helped design the first Russian probe to Mars.
3) Which of the following is a correct statement about the famous “face on Mars”?
A) The Russian Phobos probe discovered it in the Krichdi region.
B) The images were actually a prank.
C) The US Mars Global Surveyor discovered it in the Quensin region.
D) The US Viking probes discovered it in the Cydonia region.
- 4) Which two Martian regions are most dissimilar in topology?
A) eastern and western
B) eastern and southern
C) northern and southern
D) northern and eastern
- 5) Both Martian polar caps suggest drastic climate changes in the planet’s history because of what?
A) alternating layers of dust and ice
B) alternating layers of sedimentary and igneous rock
C) heavier and thicker glaciers in the southern hemisphere than the northern hemisphere
D) the noticeable changes in thickness of the polar caps in a Martian year
- 6) What is the largest known volcano in our solar system?
A) Alba Patera
B) Olympus Mons
C) Ascraeus Mons
D) Arsia Mons
- 7) The most abundant gas in the Martian atmosphere is
A) carbon dioxide
- 8) Which of the following two probes are most similar in terms of structure and design?
A) US Mars Observer and US Mars Global Surveyor 96
B) USSR Mars 3 and US Mars Observer
C) US Mars Pathfinder and US Mars Global Surveyor 96
D) US Mariner 4 and US Mars Pathfinder
- 9) Which of the following countries have launched a mission to Mars, and what is the probe’s name?
A) Spain launched the Quixote.
B) France launched the Marie.
C) Japan launched the Nozomi.
D) No country other than the United States and Russia have launched any missions to Mars.
- 10) Phobos is unique because it
A) is the smallest moon in the solar system.
B) has an atmosphere similar to Venus’s.
C) is highly-irregularly shaped.
D) is the closet moon to its planet in our solar system.
Copyright © 2000 by Gary Chan and Matthew McDermott. All rights reserved.