We asked some questions at some descendents of Dutchmen who emigrated to Michigan. We even have asked two immigrants. The questions were:
They didn't had to answer each question, so somethimes there is missing one.
- From what region of the Netherlands did your ancestors originate?
- What is the meaning of your family name?
- How (if at all) has your family name changed since entering the United States?
- When did your family enter the United States?
- What occupation did your ancestors hold in the Netherlands?
- Did they continue this occupation after emigrating?
- Why did your ancestors emigrate?
- How settled your family and adapted to their new home in America?
- How has your ancestry affected your life?
- How well informed do you feel you are about your family's history and how did you learn about it?
- Do you speak Dutch? Does anyone in your family speak Dutch?
- What Dutch customs has your family retained?
- What contact (if any) do you currently have with the Netherlands?
- How does religion affect your life?
- How important is the Dutch culture for you? Do you want that your children will know the Dutch culture? And why?
- Do you want to go the Netherlands? Why?
- What is, do you think, real Dutch?
- What's your name?
You can read their answers in the next files.
Back to Perspectives