Back to School
Guide to College
Once They've Left
Need to Knows
they leave, your child may need to:
Spend time with friends, this is their last summer together and leaving friends behind can be difficult.
- Distance her/himself - sometimes teens need to separate from loved ones
gradually, to make leaving less difficult. Give space, but let them know you're
available to talk.
- Be reassuring - Your child may begin to doubt whether she or he made the
right decision about college. Your support will help.
They will need to know:
How to manage money - Help them learn to manage their money wisely. They will need to know how to:
- Budget money
- Write a check
- Balance a checkbook
- Use a credit/debit card responsibly
- Use the ATM/MAC machine
Life skills - Before they ever pack their suitcase they better know
- Clean their room
- Do laundry
- Manage their time. You can't give them a crash course in this. One
suggestion is to buy them a planner at the beginning of the year and make them use
it faithfully up until the time they leave.
- Learn how to be safe. Talk to your child about safety issues. Make sure they
know to: Keep her/his room locked. Walk only where
it is safe. Never go to or leave a party with people they don't know well. Never drink and drive or ride with a driver who's been drinking or using other
- Share a room peaceably