constantly in a state of flux learning as a general rule. Ongoing professional development is important in the education
field, not just for certification reasons.
Teachers can enhance their own careers through:
- getting their masters degree or continuing their higher education
- participating in teacher education programs
- attending in-service workshops
- taking classes/workshops in technology skills
Technology Skills and Knowledge
Many resources are available to teachers online. Lesson plans, course
materials, and supplemental activities are all online. But, you have to be able
to access them. Having a general knowledge of the tools technology has to offer
will enhance your teaching.
Some helpful technical skills a teacher might use include:
- Word processing - The easy way to make up tests.
- Spreadsheets - The easy way to keep track of things like grades.
- Digital cameras - Insert media without having to scan them in.
- Scanners - For those shots you took on the 35mm.
- Printers - How to get all of this stuff out of your computer.
- Computer grading programs - If you're lucky enough to have a computer
grading program, use it.
Distance learning - How can distance
learning benefit you? You may not have time to drop everything and go back to
school for your masters. If you have the technical skills to participate in a
distance learning program will give you the option of completing your degree
online. Distance learning lets you go to school and and continue teaching at the
same time. Online and correspondence programs will
also aid you in fulfilling recertification requirements. Why should you bother
getting your masters? Higher education leads to better paying jobs, more
opportunities, and job satisfaction.