Safety on Campus
Your 1st Year
you're at college it is very easy to stay within your own pre-defined
shell. You can be in this shell throughout your entire life or you can break out
of its comfortable interior and explore all that lays beyond. After breaking out
of your comfort zone you will be able to notice things you never have before,
explore things you've never done, meet new people, and generally have a much
more interesting time at college. College is the place for opportunities, but
the only way to take advantage of these opportunities is to leave your comfort
Ways to Leave Your Comfort Zone
- Have an opposite day - walk instead of drive, take the stairs instead of the elevator, eat
- Read a book or magazine you wouldn't normally pick up.
- Sign up for a new course, workshop or discussion group in a subject that
is new to you.
- Spend one day saying what you really think. (Be careful with this one!)
- Spend some time getting to know someone you don't know very well.
- Take a new route home everyday for a week.
- Take time to notice buildings, signs or people you normally walk right by.
- Try meeting 3 people you don't know at all.
- Try not to talk for an hour, just listen.
- Try doing something you've never done before. Go to a concert, jog early
in the morning, or eat something completely new to you.