teaching students how to write a good essay they need to know more than just
how to write well. They need to know what to write.
As you know, the college essay is different than other types of essay
writing. The goal of a college essay is to get an emotional response of, "I
like this kid.," from someone who is skim reading a bunch of essays at
Students need to learn to reveal who they are and what
their personality is like. In other words, they need to be their self,
this will set them apart from other applicants.
Tips for a well written college essay -
Give students the following pointers. Sometimes all they
need from you is a person to help them proofread, at other times they will need
more help. The following tips should help them out and save you some time
reading half-baked essays.
- Start with a quiet environment. Distractions will effect the quality of your
- Your local library should have some essay writing books that should help.
- Research your essay before you begin.
- Outline your essay before you begin. This will help you logically plan your
paper and make writing much easier.
- Be yourself not what you think they want you to be.
- Follow the directions. If they say 500 words, don't give them 503.
- If they don't give you a specific topic to write on, find a good topic.
- Use correct structure and grammar. Have an English teacher read over your
and proofread your essay for you.
- Use your essay to reveal something about yourself that you weren't able to
share in the other parts of the application.
- Read your essay out loud. This will help you figure out whether your
sentences flow together well.
- Check out the Essay Wizard page: http://www.northfork.com/essaywiz/
their site is a very extensive guide to writing the best essay possible.