3/4 cup sultanas
1/3 - 1/4 cup currants
1/2 cup blanched almonds
3/4 cup (100g) flour
1/4 teaspoon mixed spice & nutmeg
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons of fruit juice other liquid
3/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup mixed peel
3/4 cup dates chopped
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs beaten
1) Prepare fruits and mix with peel and almonds.
2) Sift flour, soda, and the spices, add breadcrumbs.
3) Cream butter and cream, add eggs beating well, add fruit juice then add fruit and
flour. Mix thoroughly.
4) Place in basin, cover with pudding cloth, foil and greased paper and lid.
5) Place basin in prepared saucepan of water ready for boiling, with sufficient water to
come half-way up the side of the basin. Do no immerse completely.
6) Cook for 3 hours.
7) The pudding is best made four weeks in advance as the pudding matures well.
8) On the day of serving, pre-heat for an hour prior to serving. Turn out on to warm dish.
Butler, Alex. Christmas of Children Australia: The Dominion
Press, 1979. pg 63