[ t s u n a m i s : p r e p a r a t i o n ]
[ format this page for printing ]
- Prepare an evacuation route and know it well.
- Monitor the ocean, especially for a suddenly receding tide that exposes the ocean floor.
- Tremors and ground that moves up and down in waves should be noted.
- If you are in a boat or at sea, stay on the ocean, away from shore. That may be one of the safest places to be.
- If you are in a boat near the coast, sail out to sea if you hear a tsunami warning.
- Keep listening for tsunami warnings and further updates or instructions.
- If you hear news of a tsunami watch being issued, a tsunami might occur in your area.
- If you hear civil defense sirens or a pre-arranged warning signal, evacuate.
- Get to higher ground and wait for further instructions.
- Do not go near the ocean. Instead, find the highest elevated ground possible.
- Tsunami are highest in shallow water, so beware if you are in a bay or river inlet.
- Stay away from buildings that could fall over if hit by a wall of water.
- Keep clear of bridges and other structures that could be swept away by water.
- Document your important files and possessions.
- Learn CPR and first aid.
- Go to community meetings and discuss what to do in the event of a tsunami.
- Stock up on necessary food, water, and emergency supplies.
- Secure your home, protecting it with boards, tightening fastenings, replacing old boards, etc.
- Stay away from buildings and bridges that could be damaged in a tsunami.
- Evacuate if necessary.
- Keep listening for news and updates.
- Contain animals.
- Stay at sea if you are on the ocean.
- Wait for a signal before returning home.
- Check for injuries and help the wounded if necessary or possible.
- Don’t go home until officials give the all-clear signal.
- Check your home for damage. Don’t go inside if it appears unstable.
- Be cautious when handling animals. Try to comfort them if possible.
- Try to locate other family members by following a pre-arranged meeting plan.
[ info ]:
what's a tsunami? -
types of waves -
[ reality ]:
current events -
case studies -
ten worst -
real life stories -
[ interact ]:
message board -
[ general ]:
win our award -
awards we've won -
contact us -
[ forces ]:
fog & mist -
forest fires -
severe storms -