If your home is on or near the coastline where the hurricane's destructive forces will affect it, pay close attention to what the local government and/or police force is recommending. You should also pay attention to radio and TV stations for the latest information.
If evacuating your home is recommended:
- Heed their warning!!
- Plan ahead where you would go -- it may be beneficial to choose a few places like an out of town friend's home or a designated shelter, etc.
- Take the phone numbers of these places with you.
- Take a road map in case the weather forces you onto unfamiliar roads.
- Do not drive over standing water, as floods may have damaged the roads.
YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW DEEP THE WATER REALLY IS!!!
If you are in the path of a land-falling hurricane, you should prepare a supply kit containing:
- A first aid kit and necessary medications.
- Canned food and an opener, as this food lasts for long periods of time without needing refrigeration.
- Plenty of water. (The Red Cross recommends three gallons of water per person to last three days.)
- Flashlights, a battery powered radio, and extra batteries.
- Raingear, sleeping bags, and protective clothing.
© 2000, Team C001472. Read our disclaimer for more information on copyrights