Football & Billiards Baseball & Basketball Soccer & Tennis Map Sources Home
History of Tennis
Tennis Rules History and Facts Tennis Players Tennis Quiz
The first form of tennis was lawn tennis. Tennis dates back to the 13th century. Tennis was invented by Major Walter Clopton Wingfield, in Wales, in 1973. There have been theories of the game dating back to being played in early Egypt. Usually you will find origins of tennis were no origins seem possible. In 1316, King Louis the tenth died of a chill after playing Tennis. In the year 1600 there were 25 hundred courts in France.
- The U.S.T.L.A. (United States Lawn Tennis Association) was founded in 1881.
- Amatuers were allowed to play and compete with professionals in 1968.
- Suzzane Lenglen was said to be the greatest lady tennis player.
- Billy Talbert rose to fame even though he had diabetes.
- Australia has the most Davis Cup victories over all the countries.
Why don't you visit http://www.usta.com/.