Ingredients: 1 quart of strawberries, sliced
1 cup of sugar
2 cups of Gold Medal all-purpose flour
2 tbsp of sugar
3 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of salt
3/4 cup of milk
1/3 cup of margarine or butter, melted
Sweetened Whipped Cream (below)
1. Sprinkle strawberries with 1 cup of sugar; let stand 1 hour.
2. Heat the oven to 450 degrees.
3. Mix flour, 2 tbsp of sugar, the baking powder, and salt in medium
bowl. Stir in milk and margarine just until blended.
4. Sprinkle a surface lightly with flour. Turn the dough onto the surface. Gently smooth into a ball; knead 20 to 25 times. Roll or pat dough 3/4 in. thick; cut into shortcakes with the floured 3 to 3 1/2 in. biscuit cutter. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
5. Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
6. Split warm shortcakes crosswise; fill and top with strawberries. Serve with Sweetened Whipped Cream. Makes 4 servings.
Beat 1 cup of chilled whipped cream and 2 tbsp of powdered sugar in a chilled
small bowl until stiff.