Antifreeze is a greenish fluid that is put
inside a car engine to keep the engine from freezing in the cold.
Antifreeze is good for cars.
Antifreeze is deadly to dogs and any other
animal. Here's how a dog can be poisoned by antifreeze. First of all,
antifreeze has a sweet taste that is appealing to dogs. Once inside
the dog the symptoms may include thirst, frequent urination, tremors,
depression, and vomiting. This can happen as soon as 30 minutes after
it has been ingested by a dog and can last up to 12 hours. By then
the symptoms will disappear.
At this point, the ethylene glycol will
have been broken down by the liver. Ethylene glycol is the active
ingredient in antifreeze. Many symptoms may not be noticeable for
days. Vomiting may reoccur as well as appetite loss, inability to
urinate, mouth ulcers, salivation, dehydration, seizures, coma , and
If you think your dog has taken in
antifreeze, take it to your nearest animal clinic immediately. If
treated properly within the 1st 12 hours, complete recovery is
Don't forget that when changing or adding
antifreeze to your car, make sure not to spill anything. Also keep
containers out of reach of your pets.
Unique Health Conditions