America, The Land of Stars and Stripes
· Alabama- It was illegal to wear a false moustache in church if it made people laugh
· Arizona- It was illegal to kick a mule, but if the mule kicked a person it could not be prosecuted
· Arkansas- Filing down a mules teeth was forbidden
· California- Anyone setting a trap for a mouse had to have a permit
· Colorado- It was not permitted to throw shoes at a bridal couple
· Connecticut- In colonial times, children could face the death penalty for disobeying their parents
· Florida- All residents had to wear clothing while bathing in a bathtub
· Georgia- beach lifegaurds had to wear bright red bathing suits and a harness around their necks connected to a 200-foot-long lifeline
· Hawaii- Barbers were not permitted to lather their customers with a shaving brush
· Idaho- No one could buy a chicken after dark without permission from the sheriff
· Illinois- It was permissable to send an animal to jail
· Indiana- Taking a bath in the wintertime was forbidden
· Iowa- It was illegal for a woman NOT to wear a corset.
· Kansas- It was illegal to exhibit the eating of snakes.
· Kentucky- A man could not buy a coat unless his wife was along to help in the selection
· Louisiana- Whistling on Sunday was forbidden.
· Maine- Walking the streets with one's shoelaces undone was forbidden.
· Maryland- It was illegal in parts of Maryland to mistreat an oyster.
· Massachusets- It was illegal to show movies that lasted more than twenty minutes
· Michigan- A womans hair was property of her husband.
· Minnesota- Men's and woman's underwear could not be hung on the same clotheslineat the same time.
· Mississippi- It was illegal to soap railroad tracks
· Nebraska- A person who sneezed in public could be fined.
· Nevada- It was illegal to drive camels onto main highways.
· New Jersey- No one was permitted to delay or detain a homing pigeon.
· New Mexico- Bicycle horns had to have a harmonious sound.
· New York- Card playing on a train was against the law.
· North Carolina- It was illegal to sing out of tune.
· North Dakota- It was illegal to trap birds in a cemetery.
· Oklahoma- It was illegal to eavesdrop.
· Oregon- It was illegal for a dead person to serve on a jury.
· Pennsylvania- There was a 45 cent fine for cursing, but if the name of God were mentioned, the fine went up to 65 cents.
· South Carolina- All citizens were required to carry guns to church.
· South Dakota- An 80 year old woman could not stop in the street to talk to a young married man.
· Tennessee- It was illegal for a motorist to drive unless he had warned the public one week in advance by inserting a notice in the newspaper.
· Texas- A man carrying a pair of plierscould have been sent to prision.
· Utah- it was illegal to wear shoes with heels higher than one and a one-half inches.
· Vermont- It was illgal to paint a horse.
· Virginia- It was illegal to have bathtub it the house.
· Washington- It was illegal to hunt ducks from a rowboat unless one were upright and visible from the waist up.
· West Virginia- It was illegal to sneeze on a train.
· Wisconsin- For each meal sold costing 25 cents or more a small peice of cheese had to be served.
· Wyoming- A license was required to take a picture of a rabbit during Janurary, February, March or April.