Hypertension is a medical term for continually high blood pressure. There are many different types of Hypertension that vary from mild to very sever and fatal. One severe type is Malignant Hypertension. Besides being severe by itself, Hypertension leads to heart attacks, strokes, and kidney failure. Physicians believe that if a person's reading for blood pressure is over 150/95, this indicates that the person has Hypertension.
In most cases, Hypertension doesn't produce any symptoms until more dangerous complications occur. For example, Hypertension can cause a heart attack by making the heart work harder. If the heart is forced to work harder, the kidneys may not get enough blood which in turn, causes kidney failure. Hypertension can also lead to Arteriosclerosis. If it isn't controlled, Hypertension will increase the risk of heart attack, stroke, and kidney problems. It will also damage arteries and strain the heart.
About 10% of all Hypertension cases are caused from other illnesses like overactive adrenal glands or kidney disease. Physicians aren't able to determine the other 90% or the cases. These cases are called Essential Hypertension. Having too much stress, obesity, eating too much salt, or smoking will help Hypertension develop. These things also may make Hypertension worse if a person already has Hypertension. People whose parents suffer from Hypertension are more likely to develop Hypertension themselves rather than people whose parents didn't suffer from Hypertension.
EVERYONE should have their blood pressure checked frequently, even if a person's parents don't suffer from Hypertension. In mild cases, Hypertension can be controlled by avoiding salty foods, reducing weight, and getting more exercise. In almost all other cases, Physicians treat Hypertension with drugs and medications that reduce the secretion of rennin and aldosterone. In more serious cases, like heart attacks, can be prevented by treating high blood pressure before it gets too high.
Home Page Cardiovascular Cancer COPD Bibliography