Back to Home Page
· Falcons can fly up to 60 mph.
· Falcons can dive at speeds up to 150 mph, making them the fastest bird.
· Falcons are endangered animals.
· They were harmed by insecticide, called DDT.
· DDT made falcon's eggs soft.
· Falcons eat small birds.
· Falcons live on tall buildings or on cliffs.
· People use falcons as hunters.
· A falcon trainer is called a fouler.
· All falcons are hawks, but not all hawks are falcons.
· Falcons became endangered in the 1950's.
· They are making a very nice comeback.
· Falcons are raptors, birds of prey.
· There are three falcon nest sites in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
· There are ten active nest sites in Wisconsin.
· A fast dive characterized by the falcon's body pitched forward while its wings are folded back is called a stoop.
(The picture at the top of the page is used with the permission of the Wisconsin Peregrine Society.)