Did you know...
That Jamestown went through 5 churches from the time they first settled?
The first church was an awning (which was an old ship's sail) fastened to three to four trees.
Quickly after, the first "real" church was built. This church burned to the ground somewhere in the year 1608.
The first church was replaced with a second, much like the first. The church was made of wood, so it was vulnerable to all weather. John Rolfe and Pocahontas were wed in this church.
The third church was built in 1617-1619 under the governing of Samuel Argall. He had the colonists build a new church, " fifty foot long and twenty foot wide." The church was wood built on cobblestones. The cobblestones each had one brick on top of them.
The fourth church was started in January 1639. John Harvey (Governor), the council, the planters that were able, and some sea captains had started to construct the first brick church of Jamestown. Incomplete in 1647, larger efforts were made to complete the church. After the church's completion, it's tower was added. This church's tower is the only 17th century construction left standing today in Jamestown. The fourth church burned during Bacon's Rebellion of 1676.
Ten years later, a fifth and last colonial church was constructed. This church was used until the 1750's when it was abandoned. The building fell in the 1790's.
Back to fort