During the 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's, work in support
of the atomic energy program was performed at sites through out the United
States. During the 1940's, uranium ore was shipped to CEMED from
the Belgian Congo. Uranium ore and small amounts of radioactive materials
remain at some of these sites. The site in Middlesex, NJ is one of
The site is known as the Middlesex Municipal Landfill. It is located within the Borough of Middlesex in Middlesex County, New Jersey, approximately 26 kilometers southwest of Newark. The site consists of about three acres of a 37-acre unimproved landfill that was used from 1948 to 1960 to for the disposal of waste from the Middlesex Sampling Plant (one kilometer to the southwest.) In 1960, radiation levels showed contamination in the soil transported from the Middlesex Sampling Plant and about 496 cubic meters were removed and brought to the New Brunswick Laboratory in New Jersey. A church was constructed in 1963 on a five-acre portion of the former landfill property. Radiological surveys in 1974 and 1978 identified a contaminated area of about 3 acres bordering the church property. The contaminants were radium-226 and uranium-238. The majority of the landfill site remains property of the Borough of Middlesex.
Clean-up of the radioactive contamination at the Middlesex Municipal landfill, began in 1984 and was completed in 1986. A total of 23,824 cubic meters of waste was placed in storage containers at the Middlesex Sampling Plant.
There are no future plans for the use of this