If you ever see something you like in a website, or would like it on your website, go to View, Page source or source. That will show you the HTML of the website. You then search for what you want. If you want it on your site, copy it.
You can edit your page with an HTML editor. Example: Lotus Word Pro. You type it up there and then FTP it. Which sends it to the website you are making.
- To start a webpage go to the following places:
- Geo Cities
- Aol (you have to be a member)
Follow these instructions if you want to make your own site in HTML which means you need to use a text editor, like Windows Notepad.
To begin a webpage, go to the editor and name your main page index.
Now, type <html> at the begining of the page.(this means that you are using HTML). Then press Enter.
Now, type <head> to begin the head. Then type Enter.
Now, you are going to type the title. Type <title> The name of your title then type to end your title. Put a / before anything you want to end. Then type Enter.
Now, you want to end the head, so you have to type </head> . Then type Enter.
Now, if you want a background and or you want to change the font color
<body background="the name of the background" Then to put a font color in type right after the name of the background text="the color">
Here is an example of what you just learned:
<title>This is the title for you webpage</title>
<body background="background_file.jpg" font="Color">
Here is a little more:
- Now, the title that you typed in before, is not going to appear on the website, it will be at the top of your computer screen. To make a title appear on the webpage, all you have to do is this:
<center>The title of your website that is going to apear</center>
- To make the font bigger you have the choices of (these are the heading sizes):
<h1> (biggest heading font)
<h6>(Smallest heading font)
- You can use the heading fonts as the main text. The main font of this webpage (the font it is in now) is <h4> .
- To make a new line, you type <br> That means line break. It makes a new line.
- To make a new paragraph, you type <p> This skips a line without you having to type <br>
That is your basic HTML. For more information, Search the internet or look for HTML at your local library!
Some good books to help you learn about HTML and how to make websites:
Creating Web Pages For Kids & Parents by Greg Holden, IDG Books Worldwide
and the one that we used more than anything else to help us make this web site:
The Definitive Guide 2nd Edition
Chuck Musciano & Bill Kennedy
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.