The Lied Jungle at Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo is the world's largest indoor tropical rain forest featuring habitats from Asia, Africa,and South America.
1. In a certain part of Brazil's rain forest 5 species of animals dwell.
Sloths--the slowest of any mammal
Jaguars--the largest predators of the rain forest
Capybaras--the largest rodents in the world
Anacondas--the largest snakes i the rain forest
Tapirs--animals more closely related to the horse than the pig which they resemble
Use the hints below to figure out how many of each of the 5 species are in this particular part of the rain forest.
a. There are a total of 49 animals.
b. There are more capybaras than any other species (17).
c. There are fewer jaguars than any other species.
d. The number of capybaras is the same as the number of tapirs and anacondas put together.
e. The number of sloths is twice the number of jaguars.
f. The The total number of sloths and jaguars add up to 15.
g. There are the same number of sloths and anacondas.
h. There are two more tapirs than jaguars.
Number of sloths_____________ Number of jaguars___________
Number of tapirs______________ Number of capybaras_________
Number of anacondas___________
2. There are 11 pump/filter systems in the Lied Jungle. They are used for recirculating and filtering water through waterfalls, ponds, etc. These pumps have a combined capacity of 6,700 gallons a minute.
a. What is the average pumping capacity of each pump/filter system in the building? __________________gallons/minute
b. If all the pumps could be hooked up simultaneously to fill the 20,000 gallon hippo tank, how long would it take to fill the tank? _____________________
c. The smallest pump/filter system is used for the fish pond. It will recirculate 1,200 gallons a minute. How many gallons will recirculate in the pond per year? _______________gallons
3. Let's classify a group of the rain forest's animals into 3 categories:
arboreal--animals that live primarily in trees
terrestrial--animals that live on the ground
other--animals that live both on the ground and in trees
Use these hints to answer the following questions:
- There are a total of 12 animals
- 6 of the animals belong to the "other" category
- 4 of the animals are never found in trees
- 1/3 of all the tree-dwellers also live on the ground
a. How many of the animals are strictly arboreal? ___________
b. How many of the animals are strictly terrestrial? __________
4. The swaying suspension bridge is 20 feet long.
a. How many times would one have to journey back and forth over the bridge to have traveled one mile? ______________
b. How many centimeters long is the bridge? ____________cm
c. How many meters long is the bridge? ______________m
Click to see the answers--no fair peeking!
All math problems and answers are used by permission of the Education Department of the Henry Doorly Zoo.