Kinds Of Hamsters And What They're Used For:
Hamsters are similar to rats and mice. Hamsters are often used as laboratory animals because they can get many of the same diseases as humans. Another reason is that they can breed a lot and often. Some kinds of hamsters are: the Siberian, Djungarian, Robrovosky' s, Chinese, gray, blue mink Syrian, black-eyed cream Syrian, pearl Siberian, cinnamon Syrian, golden Syrian, tortoise-shell Syrian, banded Djungarian, banded cream Syrian, sapphire Siberian, banded Syrian, Chinese dominant spot, spotted gold Syrian, molted Djungarian, long haired light gray Syrian, long haired white Syrian, red eyed roan rex Syrian, normal satin Djungarian, mouse like hamster, common hamster, striped hamster, gray hamster, and the rat like hamster. There are more hamsters but I' m not going to list them because you are probably bored of names by now, so I'll move on to information about them.
Size, Weight And Breeding:
Adult hamsters are about 5 - 6 inches long and weigh somewhere around 4 ounces. A female hamster can give birth when she is 6 weeks to 2 months old. She can breed monthly until she is 15 months old. There are about 5 to 10 babies per litter but sometimes they're as small as 3 or as many as 12. The babies can eat hard food but they will keep drinking their mother's milk. They are blind and don't have any fur when they are born. The mother will eat some of the babies if she has a lot of them.
In captivity they eat mixtures of seeds and grains, many kinds of vegetables, and drink out of bottles. Hamster's mouths are like chipmunks because they have little pouches in the cheeks so they can carry a lot of food around. In the wild they eat many kinds of grain, seeds, and plant material.
About Pet Hamsters:
They make great pets because they look good and they normally have great health. Hamsters also love to be held. At first hamsters are shy and if you try to pick them up they will run and hide. If a hamster sees something interesting it will stand on its back legs to get a better view.
The Most Common Pet Hamster:
Golden hamsters are the most common hamster as a pet. Golden hamsters have fur that is soft and silky and yellowish brown to red. The stomach and underside is a kind of creamy white. Golden hamsters were captured from a single litter to use as pets in Asia in 1930.
Where They Live:
Most hamsters live in dry arid places and go to their burrow to hibernate when it's cold. Hamsters live in large burrows and live in Africa, North America, South America, Asia, and Europe.
Information On Hamsters:
- Siberian hamsters live in frigid Asia where it snows a lot. Their fur turns white in the winter so if they stay still they are often safe from predators.
- The Djungarian has black eyes, short thick hair, and a thin black line going from the head to the tail.
- The Robrovosky's hamster has long legs, silver whiskers, and rounded ears.
- The Chinese hamster has a narrow body so it can squeeze through small holes, a long thin tail that is gray brown, black tipped small ears, and a black stripe that goes down its back.
- The mouse like hamster does not have cheek pouches and has a long tail.
- Common hamsters grow to be the largest hamsters.
- Striped hamsters have a stripe that goes from the beginning of its back to the bottom of it.
- Gray hamsters have very large cheek pouches and store a whole lot of grain.
- Rat like hamsters have very large cheek pouches.
- The ivory Syrian has shiny fur and is almost white. The blue mink Syrian has shaggy brown fur.
- Black eyed cream Syrians have smooth honey colored fur.
- Pearl Siberian hamsters have a gray shade of fur on their face.
- Cinnamon Syrians have white areas around their legs and an orange back.
- Tortoise-shell Syrians have white, yellow, and brown patches.
- Banded Djungarians have white marks that reach most of the way around their backs.
- Sapphire Siberians have a white mark on their side and the banded Syrian has a white band around its body.
- Long-haired light gray Syrians have long fur around the middle and the bottom; its body is covered in long wavy hair.
- The long haired white Syrian male has long and very fluffy fur. The female has short fur.
- Red eyed cream roan rex's fur looks rough but it is incredibly smooth. It also has short curly whiskers.
- Normal satin Djungarian have smooth fur that looks so greasy, but it isn't even close to being that.
Pet Hamster Information:
Tube names for hamster cages are cub, cross road, u-turn, elbow, tubes, spiral, space station, whirl-a-wheel, and sky spinner. Some cage parts are: rec. room, sky restaurant, maze, carnival, dining room, big wheel houses, sleeping den, fun house, tank topper, mini gym, curiosity cub, snack bar, sky pet house, circus set, and playground. A little fun thing is speed streak racer. Another little thing is the midnight blanket. If you live in kind of a cold place then you might want to have something like this so the hamster can stay warm. Hamsters also like them because they can shape them into beds just like they would in the wild. The things below are hamster tunnels.
On the two maps below the red areas show where hamsters live.