1. The old fish traps caught too many fish, making it difficult for the fish to get up stream to spawn.
2. The set net locations near a fish trap caught few salmon.
3. When Alaska became a state on January 3,1959 they outlawed fish traps.
4. The fish trap was designed in 1910 by Bob Heakman.
5. When fish are caught in the trap, the design of the trap makes it almost impossible for the fish to escape.
6. New traps were being invented to try to give the fish a reasonable means of escape when the trap was not being used.
7.The floating trap was invented in order to put the trap in deeper water. They also were trying to make the trap design smaller in order to prevent it from being destroyed by bad weather and rough water.
8. The trap watchman had a shack set up beside the trap in order to keep debris out of the trap and to ward off other people and predators.
9.South of the Kenai River at low tide one can notice the parts of old pilings which were the location of old fish traps.
10. At one time there were even fish traps in the mouth of the Kenai River.
Take a quiz.