1. Some salmon are extinct or gone.
2. When salmon die they are food for many animals like eagles, otters,and bears.
3. People that study fish are called ichthyologists.
4. All salmon know when to return to their spawning grounds by how long the day is and they can feel what season it is.
5. Most salmon can swim about 14 km per hour.
6. It is against the law to fish in spawning grounds.
7. Salmon change to red a couple of days after spawning, then they die.
8. Since salmon are nearsighted they have to always use low frequency sound waves to find food in far away places.
9. Chinook salmon or king salmon are the largest in the Pacific Ocean. They can weigh over 100 pounds.
10. Polluted waters can kill both baby salmon that are developing and adult salmon on their way to spawn.
11. In the wild, less then one out of 1,000 salmon eggs laid live to be spawning adults.
12. In order for the salmon to survive and be comfortable the temperature of the water should be 55 degrees F (12.8 C).
13. All salmon spend part of their life in fresh water and part of their life in salt water.
14. Salmon can find the right stream to spawn in by the smell of it.
15. Rainbow trout can be called steel head trout. They are really Pacific salmon.
16. Female salmon may lay 1,200 eggs into the nest.
Take a quiz.