How to Make a Windmill
Make a simple windmill by using materials you can find around your house!
- an empty milk carton
- a drinking straw
- a cork
- a tack or paper clip
- 2-3 feet of thread
- a sail made from cardboard or paper (like making a pinwheel)
- First, fill the milk carton with 1,2, or 3 inches of sand.
- Second, make a hole on two sides of the milk carton so you can put the straw through the two holes.
- Next, put the cork on one end of the straw and the sail you made on the other end.
- Then, tie the thread to the tack or paper clip and the cork.
- Finally, blow on the sail and the sail and the tack or paper clip will go up and down.
adapted from Energy All Around Us
by Donna Bailey
Click here to go to the main menu of energy.
Click here to go back to the activity board.
Click here to go back to the wind energy page.