U.N. Resolution 338-9
Security Council Resolution 338, 339 Concerning the October War,
October 22-27, 1973
Resolution 338 (October 22, 1973)
The Security Council
Resolution 339 (October 23, 1973)
- Calls upon all parties to the present fighting to cease all firing and terminate all military
activity immediately, no later than 12 hours after the moment of the adoption of this decision,
in the positions they now occupy;
- Calls upon the parties concerned to start immediately after the cease-fire the
implementation of Security Council resolution 242 (1967) in all of its parts;
- Decides that, immediately and concurrently with the cease-fire, negotiations start between
the parties concerned under appropriate auspices aimed at establishing a just and durable peace in
the Middle East.
The Security Council.
Referring to its resolution 338 (1973) of 22 October 1973,
- Confirms its decision of an immediate cessation of all kinds of firing and of all military
action, and urges that the forces of the two sides be returned to the positions they occupied at
the moment the cease-fire became effective;
- Requests the Secretary-General to take measures for immediate dispatch of United Nations
observers to supervise the observance of the cease-fire between the forces of Israel and the
Arab Republic of Egypt, using for this purpose the personnel of the United Nations now in the
Middle East and first of all the personnel now in Cairo.
Return to time line.
[ Home |
Created: August 18, 1996
Last Modified: August 18, 1996