The US Bureau of the Census gathers information about the population of the United States and predicts the future population.
Your job is to use the Census Bureau Population Clock to gather up to the minute US population data. You will record the population every minute for ten minutes. On your own paper, make a table to record time, population, and change in population during the last minute. Record the data, wait one minute and then press the reload button to get the new data. Just press the reload button every minute. After you have recorded the data, get a sheet of graph paper and graph the time (0 - 10 min) versus the population change during each minute.
Please print this page, answer the questions using your data and graph, and hand in all work to your teacher.
1. Does the population change the same amount during each of the ten minutes?
2. How much would you expect the population to increase in one day (24 hrs.)?
3. How much would you expect the population to increase in one year (365 days)?
4. If you assume that the population of the US increases at the same rate, what will the population be in twenty years?
5. List five variables which could cause your 20 year prediction to be inaccurate.
6. Identify three reasons why the ability to predict the poulation is important?
Back to the Online Activities Page -=|=-Back to the Lance Home page