HUMAN CREATION MYTHS
Human creation parallels are found in the following myths:
· Yoruban (humans made from earth)
· Norse (people made from trees)
· Inca (first humans came from lake with him, rest he made from stones)
· Indian (humans made from the mating of Heaven/Earth)
· Pawnee (humans born of gods mating)
· Mayan (successful men made from gold, and god's flesh)
· Egyptian (humans formed from Ra's tears)
Common threads found between these myths:
Here we do not so much see common threads, as we do common ideas. There are three different types of human creation myths:
- Humans born from earth, or some part of earth such as trees, soil, stones etc.
- Humans born from the mating of two gods. The mating of Heaven and Earth in the Indian myth is an example of this form of human creation myth.
- Humans born from a part of their god, such as their tears, as in the Egyptian myth, or flesh, as in the Mayan myth.