Absolutely text is the most important component of any page in your website. It's a rare
case that you make a page consists only of images, it may happen, but normally you will
put some text or a lot of it in your page.
Text have this advantage of putting a lot of it in a
very small size, as the one byte of text takes one byte in the file size, but any image
may take at least about 20 bytes, although it may take large spaces !
And this as you can see in any web page you go to on the
internet, the first component to be loaded is all the text, then images and other
components like Java applets and ActiveX Control.
So text is such an important component that we must teach you it.
As you can observe in any website you see, that text has
many shapes, fonts, sizes and colors, so it has many styles and a lot of it, and here in
this session you'll learn how to add all those settings and change any of them. First you
have to know how to type some text in your page. Simply type it by your keyboard !!
- Alignment is to start writing the text from left, right or
center of the page. So if you choose Right Alignment you'll
start typing from the right.
- To set alignment, from the Format toolbar, click , or to choose from left,
right or center alignment.
- Indent is left and right spacing, in which we can consider it
as margins but from both directions, left and right.
- When you decrease indent, these margins are narrowed, so the area of writing is widened;
and vice versa when you increase the indent.
- To change the indent, from the Format toolbar click or to decrease or increase indent.
To set the text appearance
- Click the Format menu from the menu bar then choose Font,
or right-click on the point you will start writing from and choose Font
Properties from the menu. The following window will appear...
- Choose the font you want from the Font menu.
- Choose the font style you want from the Font Style menu.
- Choose the text size from the Size menu.
- Choose the text effect by checking the any of the check boxes in the Effect
section, either Underline, Strikethrough
- Choose the text color from the Color drop-down menu.
- Finally click OK.
To set the font only
- Follow steps 1 and 2 in setting the text appearance. Or...
- From the Format toolbar, open the Font
drop-down menu then choose the font you want. This menu appears like this...
To set font style or underline only
- Follow steps 1 and 3 or 1 and 5 in setting the text appearance.
- From the Format toolbar, click , or to
set Bold, Italic or Underlined font.
To set text size only
- Follow steps 1 and 4 in setting the text appearance. Or...
- From the Format toolbar, click or to increase or decrease the text size.
To set text color only
- Follow steps 1 and 6 in setting the text appearance. Or...
- From the Format toolbar, click . The following window will appear...
- Choose the color then click OK.
To change paragraph format
- All paragraph formats can be found in the Format toolbar in a
drop-down menu normally looks like that...
- To Set the paragraph format, open this menu and choose the format you want.
- Some formats in this menu is present in special places like the Numbered
List and Bulleted List formats which can be found
in the Format toolbar in which you can find them in these
shapes: for Numbered List
format and for Bulleted List
- Some other formats can be found by clicking on the Format menu
in the menu bar and choosing Paragraph, or right-click the
paragraph and choose Paragraph Properties from the menu. The
following window will appear...
- Choose the format you want from the Paragraph Format menu,
then choose the paragraph alignment from the Paragraph Alignment
drop-down menu if you want then finally click OK.
- To change the shape and style of Numbered List or Bulleted
List, just right-click the list you made and choose List
Properties from the menu, or click Format menu in
the menu bar then choose Bullets and Numbering. The following
window will appear...
- Choose the shape you want either from Plain Bullets or Numbers
then click OK.
To change any of the previous settings
- Select the part of text you want to change its settings
- Follow the same steps of setting what you want to change.
It's better here to select the object you want to know
its HTML TAG after putting it with the FrontPage, then click the button found at the bottom of the FrontPage window
beside the horizontal scroll bar. You'll find the HTML TAG of the object selected, read it
well, then observe the function of each command.