"This is the challenge to our leadership today:
that we cast away the old politics that divides us
and work together instead for the common good and the national welfare."
Born : March 18, 1928
Where : Lingayen, Pangasinan
Parents : Narciso Ramos
and Angela Valdez
* His father, Narciso Ramos, was a lawyer, crusading journalist
and a five-term member of the House of Representatives.
*Angela Valdez, his mother, was a suffragette and a public school teacher.
Wife : Amelita Jara Martinez(October 31, 1953)
- Lingayen Central School - Valedictorian (Grade School)
- University of the Philippines
- United States Military Academy
- University of Illinois
- 1946 - passed competitive exams for a government scholarship
to the United States Military Academy in West Point, New York.
- 1950 - graduated from USMA.
- 1951 - enrolled as government scholar at the University of Illinois
where he got a masters degree in civil engineering.
1952 - started his military career as infantry platoon leader in the
Philippine Expeditionary Force to Korea (PEFTOK) during the Korean War.
1966-1968 - took part in the Vietnam Wear as chief of staff of the
Philippine Civic Action Group (PHILCAG).
September 21, 1972 - one of the key implementors of martial law,
which Pres. Marcos declared.
February 1986 - a four-star general and newly appointed AFP chief
- As chief of the Philippine Constabulary under the Marcos Administration
that he got harsh criticisms from student activists and liberals
in and out of government.
and Joined Defense Minister Juan Ponce Enrile in what turned and is now known as
the EDSA People Power Revolution. The uprising was the climax of popular discontent
over massive cheating in the February 1986 presidential snap elections
called by Marcos.
January 1988 - appointed by Pres. Aquino as Secretary of
the Department of National Defense.
- He was appointed as deputy chief of staff for Home Defense of the Armed Forces.
- As concurrent head of the National Disaster Coordinating Council, introduced
a systematic response mechanisms in times of natural calamities
and other emergencies.
- He had a hand in providing impetus to national stability and economic programs
as Vice Chairman of the National Peace and Order Council and as cabinet Officer for regional
Development for Region 9 in Southwestern Philippines.
- Philippine Army Special Forces - an elite group of paratroopers just as skilled
in community development as in anti-insurgency operations.
July 1, 1992 - Elected as President of the Republic of the Philippines
Acheivements in his Administration:
June 30, 1998 - gave way to another leader, and presently serving as his political advicer.
- He raised the Philippines as the Asia's Tiger Economist, during his reign.
- He administered successfully the peace talks in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.
- Provided good foreign relationship in Asia and in Europe.
- He gave way to the Philippine Economic's fast rise w/ terrorist-free environment
Emilio Aguinaldo/ Manuel Quezon/ Jose P. Laurel, Sr./ Sergio Osmena, Sr./
Manuel Roxas/ Elpidio Quirino/ Ramon Magsaysay/ Carlos Garcia/
Diosdado Macapagal/ Ferdinand Marcos/ Corazon Aquino/ Joseph Estrada/