10 "Will-Powers" For Improving Body Image
© by Michael Levine
(may be copied for educational purposes only)
1. Twice a Day, everyday, I WILL ask myself: "Am I benefiting from focusing on what I believe are the flaws in my body weight or shape?"
2. I WILL think of three reasons why it is ridiculous for me to think that thinner people are happier or better. I WILL repeat these reasons to myself whenever I feel the urge to compare my body shape to someone else's.
3. I WILL spend less and less time in front of mirrors---all I do is make me feel uncomfortable and self-conscious as I focus on each part of my body.
4. I WILL exercise for the joy of feeling my body move and grow stronger. I WILL not exercise simply to loose weight, purge fat from my body, or to "make up for" calories I have eaten.
5. I WILL participate in activities that I enjoy, even if they call attention to my weight and shape. I WILL constantly remind myself that I deserve to do things I enjoy, like dancing, swimming, etc.,no matter what my shape or size.
6. I WILL refuse to wear clothes that are uncomfortable or that I do not like but wear simply because the divert attention to my weight or shape. I WILL wear clothes that are comfortable and that make me feel comfortably in my body.
7. I WILL list 5-10 good qualities that I have, such as understanding, intelligence, or creativity. I WILL repeat these to myself whenever I start to feel bad about my body.
8. I WILL practice taking people seriously for what they say, feel, and do, not for how slender, or "well put together" they appear.
9. I WILL surround myself with people and things that make me feel good about myself and my abilities. When I am around people and things that support me and make me feel good, I will be less likely to base my self-esteem on the way my body looks.
10. I WILL treat my body with repeat and kindness. I will feed it, keep it alive and listen to it's needs. I will remember that my body is a vehicle and that will carry me to my dreams!
Back To Home Page