Signs and Symptoms of Eating Disorders in Athletes
Definition: Bulimia is a serious life threatening disorder
characterized by recurrent episodes of binge-
eating followed by (usually) self-induced vomiting
or some form of purging as a means of
- A pattern of eating substantial amounts of food followed
promptly by trips to the bathroom.
- Consumption of huge amounts of food not consistent
with the athletes weight.
- Bloodshot eyes, especially after trips to the bathroom
- Vomitus or odor of vomit in the toilet, sink, shower,
- Wide fluctuations in weight over short time spans
- Excess laxative use or evidence of use of diet pills
- Edema, particularly in feet and ankles, or hands
- Tooth decay and gum disease.
- Headaches and fatigue
- Perfectionistic: high performance and achievement
- Poor self-esteem coupled with shame and / or guilt
Back To Home Page