There are several talisman to achieve the power of invinsibility.
1. The bone of a black cat- In order to become invinsible one has to secure a perfectly black cat. The cat is placed alive in an earthen pot. The receptacle is closely covered and buried on Good Friday at a spot where threee ways intersect or near a church door. The following year on a Good Friday, when a cat has disintegrated, the bones are taken out by a small child and are washed. Thereafter the person who wants to become invinsible takes the bone after bone into his mouth and ask a child, "Do you see me?" It is a beief that if the right bone is taken, the person will suddenly become invinsible.
In cabalian (Southern Leyte) the practice is slightly different. The black cat is secretly burnt in the mountain and the ashes are put in a bottle. Whenever a person wants to become invinsible, he puts some ashes under his fingernail and he becomes invinsible. This talisman is believed to be effective in courting or abducting girls.
2. The knee-cap bone- Another method to become invinsible is to get the tuay-tuay or knee cap bone of a dead man from the cemetery at the stroke of midnight.
3. the skull of the dead- A similar talisman for invinsiblity is the tanong anting-anting. The one desires to possess it must go on Friday night to the cemetery and gatehr skulls. All collected skulls to help him to be invinsible at any time and place he desires. These prayers have to go on until midnight. After the prayers, he carries one of the skulls at home and secretly puts it in a box. Should someone come to know about it, the talisman becomes ineffective.
4. Tindok- A certain kind of banana plant called "tindok" also possesses the magical power of making people invinsible. One has to watch the tindok closely when it bears blossoms. It is said that from its blossoms gold drops to the ground. The gold is placed in a bottle or jar and a little amount of water is poured over it. The water adopts the magical power of the gold. This water is then is injected into a person's body. The gold is also inserted into the person's body by means of an incision; the skin is then sewed together and the wpund treated. It is believed that this is the most powerful talisman for thieves and robbers, because they can enter the house even when inhabitants are fully awake for they cannot be seen.
5. Heron's egg- A very common belief in Leyte and Samar is that the possession of a heron's egg make the person invinsible. He can therefore steal and do anything without being noticed.
Love plays a powerful part in human life. it stimulates one to highest achievement when it is returned and can drown a person in deepest sorrows if unreciprocated.
From olden times men have found means and ways to gain the attentionof the beloved. Talismans and love potions are known by all nations; they are also common in the Philippines. Most of the charms which gain attentionof the beloved are not talismans in the strict sense, they are placed here since they are supposed to give humans a new quality.
1. Ashes of a black cat- Ranked as a talisman are the ashes of a completely black cat which gives a person the power of invinsiblity. At the same time the ashes has to touch the head of the girl. The girl will be quiet and will accept submissively the advances of a lover. After two days the girl will even positively manifest affection and there will be no objection for courting on the part of the parents and guardians.
2. Love Potions- A most interseting charm is the following; The lover who cannot gain the attention of a girl, or vice versa, has to anstain from a bath for at least a week. He should not even wash his face. After a week he takes a bath and dirt of the body is gathered into a bottle. Thereafter food is prepare, preferably suman, which is sticky rice cooked salted or sweetened in coconut milk and wrapped in a banana leaf. Some of the bottle content are mixed with the suman. The food is to be given to the unsuspected girl. After a while, the girl is expected to respond to ht eadvances of the lover.
3. Bark of the tres- The bark of the trees is also believed to help a man win the love of his lady no matterhow hard-to-get she may be.
It is noticeable that in case of love the talisman and love potopns have temporary effects. it would seem that folk belief recognizes the higher quality or spiritual matter of love. Talismans and love potions can arouse tender feelings; but lasting; love is of different quality and has to be based on mutual understanding and compatibility. Stories of courting and marriages based only on talismans and love potions fail in the long run.