Engkantos and Engkantadas are supernatural beings believed by the Filipino people. They are described to be fair skinned, blond, and blue or green eyes and far shorter or much taller than the average Filipino. They are also believed to be mostly tree dwellers. They are remembered for their beauty, grace and charm which attracts many people.
· Albinos are believed to be children of the engkantos.
· After the Angelus parents do not allow their children to play outside the house dili-ingon nato (beings unlike us ) are already running around.
· Excuse yourself from engkantos when taking a bath in the river for they may inflict sickness on you.
· If you meet an enchanter of the spring, resist from taking a bath for it may change you into a flower or an ugly beast.
· Say tabi-tabi po to make the spirits know your presence or something bad may happen.
· The enchantress of the spring is a lovely maiden. If you see her, you may behold her enchanting beauty. Never utter a word or a sound for in this occasion it may actually save your life.
· A lovely boy/girl should not stay long outside the house to avoid being taken by engkantos.
· You must never reciprocate the love of an engkantada or engkantado for in doing this you would not only lose your world but also lose your soul.
· Gathering orchids without permission will make you shed bitter tears for an enchantress might transform herself to a flower and will punish you for your wrong doing. The enchantress will make every tear drop shed a lifetime of regret.
· Engkantos are said to be angels who revolted with Lucifer against the Lord. When the angels of God drove them out of heaven, some fell on earth. Those who fell in the forest or thick woods and lived in trees are the engkantos. Hence they will possess some extraordinary powers but are limited.
· Engkantos are angered if harmed.
· If an engkanto loves people they will take them to their graves.
· Engkantos do mischief on full moons.
· If an engkanto hates you, you will become sick until he pities you.
· Engkantos are beings who refuse to worship God. Some are good who help people, some are bad who destroys them.
· Engkantos are good looking beings. They don't grow old.
· They like silent type of people who dress decent and who never swears.
· They can change their apperance.
· Engkantos often ride in golden chariots pulled by white stallions.
· Engkantos are believed to dwell in the famous Balete tree.
· Never interrupt or say anything if you hear music coming from a Balete tree for the engkantadas are having a party.
· Engkantos also inhabit holes.
· Howling of dogs.
· Hen cackling means presence of engkantos. Throw a handful of salt to stop the hens from cackling and at the same time to drive away the spirits.
Do's and Dont's
· Don't laugh or point to a Balete tree for there live fairies and enchantress.
· If you cut a Balete tree, for if you do, you will be given death as a punishment for you have destroyed the place where the fairies and the enchantresses dwell.
· If a person was taken by an engkanto, drum beatings near Balete tress to recover lost persons.
False Beast,Shape-shifter, Blood-sucker