We wish you a pleasant stay on our page.
It explains the reincarnation of a city (Sarajevo) after the longest siege in the history of man.The name it self Fenix Sarajeva (The Phoenix of Sarajevo; Phoenix- rebirth after a catastrophe) explains the situation. We have compared two periods which highlight the city. The XIV Winter Olympic Games, which took place in 1984, and the horrifying war which was devouring the city from 1992-95. At the end we pointed of the present-day situation and the future prospect of Sarajevo. First of all we would like to show the location, which can be found in southern Europe. For better acquaintance with this medieval city, it is important to unearth its history. Founded in 1254, under the name Vrh Bosna, it always had a central geo-political position. The territory of the Bosnia and Herzegovina, whos capital city is Sarajevo, was even in the ancient era a border between two civilizations (between the Eastern and Western Roman empire and later, between the Francs and the Byzantine empire), where many nations and cultures mixed. The miracle of Sarajevo is the way a mass of unlike nations live together in an unique harmony. The name Sarajevo comes after the Ottoman occupation in 1463, from the Turkish word "saraj" which means "palace". After that, in 1878, Austro-Hungarian troops enter Sarajevo after a harsh 20 day resistance. It is important to say that the Archduke and the pregnant Duchess of the Austro-Hungarian empire was assassinated in Sarajevo on the 28th June 1914. After the collapse of the "Black and Yellow" kingdom, on the 1st December 1918, Bosnia and Herzegovina enter the SCS (Serb, Croat and Slovenian) kingdom (from the 3rd October 1929 Yugoslavia). After 80 years under the communist rule, on the 6th April 1992 B&H declares independence and battles hostile forces for integrity and democracy until the 15th December 1995. The point of this page is to acquaint and connect the world with this wondrous city.
Manual - After entering the page you may return here by clicking on the logo of the page (the Olympic flame).
- At the bottom of the screen you can click on the scrolling text and enter the gallery, where a picture of a room with three pictures on the wall will appear, which symbolize the three periods presented (pre-war, during the war and the post-war period). Selecting on of the three will list a number of thumb-nails of pictures of the city in the period selected.
- Accessing other pages can be done by selecting the two "spinning" dates, 84 or 94, depending on which period you whish to research.
- After selecting a period, a text with a number of pictures will appear. MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE PICTURES CAN BE FOUND BY CLICKIN ON THEM.
- The post-war situation is combined with the 1994 page under the name "From the Ashes".The Crew Leader, text, research, JAVA:
- Muhamed Cerimovic
Realization, HTML, idea:
- Davor Fikais
Graphics, 3D GFX, animations:
- Adnan JelicCredits: - II High School of Sarajevo- who gave us this chance and much more
- To Professor Aida Arnautovic - our mentor
- The Institute for the Planning and Development of the Canton Sarajevo- for the information on the plans for the future of the city of Sarajevo
- Our parents- who helped us in every possible way
- Special Thanks to prof. Munevera Barackai - who gave us the chance to participate