Religious Intolerance In The Media
Raw hatred and misinformation, typically directed by one religious leader against one or more religions such as: asking the federal government to round up all members of a particular religion and exterminate them for their religious beliefs
This type of faith bashing however is in a class by itself
- stating that a minority religion is planning to exterminate all US Christian leaders
- accusing, without evidence, a small religion of kidnapping, torturing and ritually killing tens of thousands of children per year in the U.S.
- Is typically based on misinformation knowingly spread by a religious leader against a small religion.
- It often seeks to build up public hatred against a benign faith group. It can contribute to public hysteria that has led to lynching, attempted murder, firebombing etc.
- The charges made are very serious, often involving criminal activity - even murder.
- Proof of wrongdoing by the targeted religion is either totally absent, or typically consists of lurid headlines unsupported by hard evidence.