Religious Intolerance in the Bible
According to some sources, Jesus is known to have promoted religious intolerance of non-Jews by his words and his actions. He is also recorded as having sever intolerance toward the Pharisess and Saducees. There are also many specific refrences in the Hebrew scriptures (Old Testament), by St. Paul, and also by the author of Revelations. Here are some of these examples:
Overall, the Bible promotes intolerance of other faiths
- People who follow another faith are to be executed
- The "Gods" of other faiths are said to be demons
- These peoples are described as unrightous and unclean
- Their priests whre murdered
- Christians were warned not to associate with them
Religious intolerance among conservative Christians
Afew conservative Christians are known to have made demeaning statements promoting intolerance. Through this they have demonstrated an unwillingness to recognize and respect other beliefs and practices. Some examples are:
Some conservative Christians concluede that non-Christian religions are of Satan, and the Gods of those faiths are in fact demonic spirits, through their interpreation of the unambigious messages in the Bible.
Most Fundamentalist and other Evangelical Christians believe that the only way to be saved is to repent of past sins and trust in Jesus as Lord and Savior. Many see non-Christians travelling down non-Christian spiritual paths that lead to an eternity of torture in Hell without any hope of mercy or relief. This includes two thirds of the human race, some 4 billion people.
- A former Southern Baptist president told two large meetings recently that God does not listen to the prayers of Jews.
- An Evangelical minister explained that there are two groups in the world: the children of God (those who are saved), and the children of the devil.
- Another stated that New Age beliefs are another attempt by Satan to pollute Christianity, promote immorality and foster unethical attitudes.
- Even another stated that non-Christians hate God, love sin, and don't care whether anyone is struggling with sin or not.
- A televangelist called for the round up and extermination of all Wiccans by the Federal government.
- Buddhism, Hinduism and other Eastern religions have been said to be led by Satan.
Religious tolerance among liberal Christians
Many Liberal Christians have beliefs about other faiths different from the the above beliefs. They regard non-Christians as valid alternative paths to God. Many view the religious-intolerant portions of the bible as no longer being of any valure in today's multi-faith world. They give little weight to the concept of a Hell where unsaved people are punished for all eternity. By viewing all of the major religions of the world in a positive light, they find it much easier to be religiously tolerant. Thus, we find that groups which promote religious tolerance tend to come from mainline and liberal faith groups, rather than from the conservative wing of Christianity.