|In 1849 the pontifical government was restored and the work of
destruction was stayed.
In 1859, the city rebelled against its papal master, and Pius
IX sent 2,000 troops of his Swiss guard to bring it to its senses. They entered by the
road leading past S.Pietros church, killing and burning indiscriminately as they
|However, in September 1860, a body of Italian troops
marched up Corso Cavour and compelled the fortress to surrender: at last papal dominion in
Perugia had come to an end.
© Copyright 1999, TQ team 26751.All rights reserved.