PUTTING YOUR LENSES IN
1. Sit at a clean table top with a mirror at eye level. Place the lens container in front of you, together with a clean, non-fluffy tissue, which you can use to dry any excess tears. Make sure your hands are clean.
2. Remove one lens from the container. Make sure it is clean, ready for putting in the eye. It is sometimes advisable to rinse the lens if the storage solution has a strong chemical in it; the directions on the bottle will tell you what to do. Do not wet the lens in your mouth: your spit may contain germs.
3. Place the clean lens on the index finger of the hand you write with. The lens should now look like a little bowl with the inside uppermost. If the lens is very soft and floppy, let it dry for a minute or two while on your finger and it will form a more rigid shape.
4. With the other hand, hold the upper lid open. While looking with both eyes into the mirror with your head lowered, place the lens on the coloured part (iris) of eye.
5. Repeat with the second lens.
REMOVING YOUR LENSES
1. Again, remember to wash your hands first.
2. Hard lenses: pressure and tightening the lids will flick out the lenses, so make sure your hand is cupped to receive them. A rubber sucker may be used.
3. Soft lenses: pinch below the centre of the lens, with a backward squeeze, between the lids.
4. Rubber lenses: push the lens to the white of the eye with the index finger and pinch off slowly below the centre with finger and thumb.
5. Whenever lenses are removed they should be cleaned immediately. Keep them in their container in their proper storage solution. Rinse as recommended before reinserting them into your eyes.