[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Objective: Students will debate an issue from different
points of view.
Preparation: Locate, read, and download and print (if
desired) the article titled:
Outreach to Chimkent, Kazakhstan." If desired, conduct further
research on the topic at
Hadassah Magazine's archives.
Student teams can assume the role of:
- a Zionist Israeli
- an anti-Israeli Kazakhstani politician
- a worker at the Chimkent Munitions plant
- a resident of Chimkent
- a doctor or scientist
Possible issues for debate:
- Why should Israel spend time, effort and money assisting the
people of Kazakhstani?
- How can Israel's contributions in Chimkent benefit the
- What if anything should the people of Chimken do to thank
- Place "role" choices in a hat or paper bag for individual
students or teams to pick. Place "issue" topics in another hat or
bag for individual students or teams to choose.
- Allow students time to research the topic and their point of
view using this Thinkquest Site as well as other resources.
- Submit debate topics and discussions to the debate it section
of our site. Make sure to include any URLs used to research each
- Have students create new topics for debate and submit them to
our site so that others can participate.