Tishu Ulen talks with William Schneider about...
1) ...her background and growing up with her parents father--market hunter\ miners--white\ Mary--mother\ mother--Selawik\ father--Kobuk\ mother--bad back, recovered\ children--four\ hunting--always following game\ Wiseman\ Kobuk\ Alatna\ tough times--near starvation\ caribou\ grandmother--father's side; served the girls first\ starvation--many died|
2) ...growing up in the Brooks Range born--Big Lake\ Chandalar Lake\ traveling--hard work\ mother--ran camp; drove dogteam\ hauling--meat for sale\ Coldfoot--storekeeper\ Wiseman--first trip\ fishing\ seining\ fish traps\ fish fences\ blackfish\ Wiseman--beauty; moonlight; shadows; mountains\ store--supplies\ river--scared of\ Stuck, Hudson--Stuck got stuck story|
3) ...and early trip to Kotzebue travel--after high water; night\ songs--singing, dancing on boat\ sickness\ seal oil--medicine\ Kotzebue--rainy, foggy\ beluga--people never landed them where they live\ pokes--seal\ Alatna\ Kobuk\ floating--raft|
4) ...memories of her family mother--drove dogs; pitched tent; trek\ mother\ father--heavy; strong; generous\ father's mother--what she said goes; six boys\ father's father--forgot\ grandmother--mother's mother\ Pingalo, Sammy--grandfather, didn't know\ Pingalo, Sammy--cousin\ Wiseman\ good lady--made snow-shoes, sled|
5) ...fishing spots Chandalar Lake\ fishing--trout\ Big Squaw Lake\ ice\ Moonies Lake\ Wiseman|
6) ...why her family settled in Wiseman married--1923-24\ Bettles--store\ stepfather--had four stores\ stepfather--wonderful; said "don't listen to what groups coming into store say."\ sickness--flu; lost hearing; eardrums burst, bled\ Wiseman--"Nobody wants to leave once you've been there awhile"\ people--nice group|