1. Beaubien, Greg "Psychology- Laughter, It's the Best Medicine" http://victorvalley.com/health&law/hlaw-oct/psych.htm
2. Berk, Dr. Lee "Laughter may help healing" http://abcnews.go.com/onair/worldnewstonight/health/wnt_laugh981204_story.html
3. Benowitz, Steven "Psychoneuroimmunology Finds Acceptance As Science Adds Evidence" http://18.104.22.168/yr1996/august/research_960819.html
4. Braverman, Sharon A. "Homoeopathic Practitioners" http://www.laughter.com/cgi-bin/imagemap/maps/laughter.map?55,536
5. Bull, Mike "Pun of the Day!" http://www.escape.ca/~pun/pofthed.htm
6. Buxman, Karen "HUMORx" http://www.humorx.com/
7. Chudler, Eric H. Ph.D. "Neuroscience for Kids-Laughter and the Brain" http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/laugh.html
8. Clay, R., Laughter may be no laughing matter. http://www.apa.org/monitor/sep97/mirth.html
9. Clay, R., Researchers help unravel the mechanics of laughter. http://www.apa.org/monitor/sep97/giggle.html
10. Dicks, Kenneth G. "Laughter is Good Medicine" http://www.exploitschamber.nf.ca/pharm5.htm
11. Diggs, Tammie S. "Laughter, Is it Healthy?" http://fly.hiwaay.net/~garson/laughter.htm
12. Dunn, Joseph R. Ph.D. "HUMOR AND HEALTH JOURNAL" http://www.intop.net/~jrdunn
13. Dye, Lee :ABCNEWS.com: Humor on the Brain. http://22.214.171.124/sections/science/DyeHard/dye990414.html
14. Escudier, E., Three Basic Theories on why we laugh. http://www.pen.eiu.edu/~cume2/theories.htm
15. Fowler, Steve "Bumper the Clown's Wonderful World!!!" http://www.bumpertheclown.com/
16. Franck, M., The Healing Power of Laughter: http://mesa.colorado.edu/~jshern/molly/BRAIN.HTM
17. Fry, William F. MD "Ounce of Prevention" http://www.med.stanford.edu/center/communications/Stanmed/Fall95/mirth.html
18. Holmes, B. "Titter ye not" http://www.newscientist.com/nsplus/insight/emotions/laugh.html
19. Goodheart, Annette, Ph.D "Laughter Therapy- Introduction" http://www.teehee.com/
20. Griffiths J. "How The Brain Assimilates Humor" http://mesa.colorado.edu/~jshern/molly/BRAIN.HTM
21. Herrick, Jenny "An Apple a Day- Its Laughter we're after!" http://www.siouxlan.com/stlukes/HL-HUM7.HTM
22. Junkins, Enda "Laughter Therapy Homepage" http://www.laughtertherapy.com/
23. Kratzer, Bill "Buppa's World of Humor" http://home.epix.net/~buppa/humor.html
24. LaRoche, Loretta "The Humor Potential" http://www.stressed.com/pages/home.html
25. McGhee, Paul E. Ph.D. "Psychoneuroimmunology and Humor" http://www.touchstarpro.com/psni-humor.html
26. McGhee, Paul E. Ph.D "Welcome to The Laughter Remedy" http://www.laughterremedy.com/
27. Meek, Chet "Chet Meek's Page of Puns" http://www.agt.net/public/meek/puns.htm
28. Montgomery, Dana J. "Information on Clowning" http://CheesecakeAndFriends.com/clowning.asp
29. O'Dell, Kathryn "International Clown Hall Of Fame Main page" http://www.webdom.com/chof/
30. Olson, P., The Heart of Laughter : A groundbreaking study reveals how the brain processes humour http://www.wm.edu/wmnews/research/laughter.html
30. Provine, Robert R., American Scientist: Articles "Laughter" http://www.amsci.org/amsci/articles/96articles/Provine-R.html
31. Provine, Robert, Ph.D "A big mystery: Why do we laugh?" http://msnbc.com/news/273621.asp#BODY
32. Rendell-Smock, Shara "Think You're Funny?" Part 1 of 5. http://www.sideroad.com/health/column9.html
33. Rendell-Smock, Shara "What The Experts Say" Part 2 of 5. http://www.sideroad.com/health/column10.html
34. Rendell-Smock, Shara "A Matter Of Perspective" Part 3 of 5. http://www.sideroad.com/health/column11.html
35. Rendell-Smock, Shara "Humour As a Coping Mechanism" Part 4 of 5. http://www.sideroad.com/health/column12.html
36. Rendell-Smock, Shara "Wooten In-depth on Humour and Coping" Part 5 of 5. http://www.sideroad.com/health/column13.html
37. Saunders, Melvin D. "Self-Healing and Your 100% Brain" http://www.tiac.net/users/seeker/selfheal.html
38. Schwartz, L., (1999) "Laughter is the best medicine" http://www.theage.com.au/daily/990420/education/news1.html
39. Sowell, C, "Is laughter the best medicine?" http://www.mdausa.org/publications/Quest/q34laughter.html
40. Sultanoff, Steven M., Ph.D. "Humor Matters Homepage" http://humormatters.com/index.html
41. Veatch, Thomas C. "A Theory of Humor" http://www.sprex.com/else/humor/paper/humor.html
42. Veatch, Thomas C. "Veatch's Theory of Humor (Short version)" http://www.sprex.com/else/humor/summary.9907.html
43. Viegas, J., (1999) Study: Humor's on the brain. http://eagle2.online.discovery.com/news/archive/news990406/brief4.html
44. Wilde, Larry "Up Your Laughter Quotient" http://www.larrywilde.com/lzone.htm
45. Wooten, Patty "Jest for the Health of it!" http://www.mother.com/JestHome/
46. Wooten, Patty "Laughter as Therapy for Patient and Caregiver" http://www.mother.com/JestHome/PULMONARY.HTML
47. (multiple authors) American Association for Therapeutic Humor. http://aath.org/
48. (no author) Children's Humor. http://npin.org/pnews/1998/pnew298/pnew298f.html
49. (no author) Clowning: The Ethnography. http://www.goshen.edu/~dougnl/clown.html#ethnography
50. (no author) "Dr. William Fry discusses the healing effects of humor" http://126.96.36.199/health/humor/wfrychat.html
51. (multiple authors) "Humor and Health" http://www.augsburg.edu/psych/vml/humor.html
52. (no Author) Feeling Good. http://www.deaconess-healthcare.com/library/generalhealthcare/feelinggood.html
53. (no author) Funstuff. http://jqt.com/
54. (no author) Laughter, the Best Medicine. http://dune.srhs.k12.nj.us/WWW/research/june97/laughter/laughter.htm
55. (no author) Rose's Humor Page. http://www.wanderers2.com/rose/humor.html
56. (no Author) Senses and Behaviour: Why do we laugh? http://www.sciencenet.org.uk/database/Social/Senses/s00187c.html
57. (no author) The Benefits of Laughter are no Joke! http://www.cmhhospital.org/caring/029708a.html
58. (no author) The SMQ: Self Test. http://188.8.131.52/health/stress/health.smqself.html
59. (no Author) Why do people feel better when they laugh? http://www.columbian.com/kids/druniverse/laugh.html
1. Jaurega, Jose Antonio. Emotional Computer. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers, 1995.
2. Cousins, N., (1989), Head First: the Biology of Hope, E. P. Dutton, New York
3. Klein, A, (1989), The Healing Power of the Mind, Jeremy P. Tarcher/Putnam, New York
4. Wooten, P, (1996), Compassionate Laughter, Commune-A-Key Publishing, Salt Lake City.
1. Veatch, T. "A Theory of Humor." International Journal of Humor Research. May, 1998.
2. "Laugh and be Well." Psychology Today. 1987 Vol 21, No. 10, p.28.
3. "Sick Jokes, Healthy Workers." Psychology Today. 1993, Vol 26 No.4., p.18
1. SurveySays from http://scripts.riffnet.com/. Copyright 1998 by Matt Riffle All Rights Reserved. This script is free software under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
1. billclinton.gif at /25500/humor/culture.htm from http://geocities.com/SouthBeach/5716/Jokes/funpics.html . Permission given on web site.
2. chimpno.gif at /25500/humor/recenttheories.shtml from http://www.gifworld.com/mainframe.php3?page=detail.php3&Name=ani_cat.gif . Permission given on web site.
3. ghostsilly.gif at /25500/humor/tellingjoke.htm from http://animatedgifs.simplenet.com/ . Permission given on web site.
1. Image of Nancy Nurse at /25500/humor/media/nancynurse.jpg from Compassoniate Laughter, Patty Wooten, , August 1999. Email message.
2. Image of Patch Adams at /25500/humor/media/patch2.jpg from The World Laughter Tour, Inc., Steve Wilson, , August 1999. Email message.
3. Image of Patch Adams at /25500/humor/media/patch3.jpg from http://www.joantinei.com, Joan Tinei, , August 1999. Email message.
4. Image of Clown at /25500/humor/media/clown3.gif from Canan Grall, past student of Ballarat Secondary College. Used with his permission.
Photographs taken by Jason and Elizabeth . Animated diagrams by Jason. All "models" gave verbal consent to allow their photographs to be used in this project. A special thank you goes to Bob Bjorkquist of Mt. Carmel High School letting us borrow the school's digital camera during the summer. A second thank you goes to Advanced Network & Services for providing MCHS with the money to purchase this camera through Jason's ThinkQuest '98 winnings.
All photographs, diagrams, sketches and text are created and copyrighted by ThinkQuest Team 25500 unless otherwise stated. Permission must be obtained from us before using any of our materials from this web site in any other web site.