Late in 1910 the Ebensburg Oil Company broke ground in the northern part of the township for the development of Colver. Two wealthy men, Messrs J.H. Weaver and B. Dawson Coleman, owned the Ebensburg Oil Company. They named the town Colver because it used the first syllable of one name and the last syllable of the other. Eventually Colver grew to one of the leading coal producers in the county. The first coal was shipped from Colver in October of 1911.