|the Future of the Internet?||
|the Future of Education?|
Active Worlds Edu
The Palace Edu
|Using The Palace Client
To be able to use this section you need to have The Palace Client installed. If you haven't done this yet, please go to the 'Installing the Client' section.
This section will give you an example on how to connect to a Palace using Windows 95 (or 98/NT).
1) Go to 'Start' -> 'Programs' -> 'The Palace' and click on 'The Palace32'.
2) The Palace Client will now start up. When it's loaded it will ask you if you like to enter as Guest or Member. Memberships are free now! If you want to enter as member follow the 'Become a free member' link in the link menu on the right of this page. You will have to fill out a form and after completion you will receive your membership code. For this example we enter as Guest by clicking on 'Stay as a Guest'.
3) You will now be asked what name you want to use. As guest most Palaces won't allow you to have a personal name. But try something original! Or just use your Real World name (this is not common in Virtual Worlds, some do this for privacy, others because they like to have another name). As a member you are allowed to use your name in any world you want. Enter a name and click on 'OK', to continue.
4) By default you will instantly enter the The Palace Welcome world.
5) Go to 'File' -> 'Connect'.
6) A menu will pop up. As address enter 'pi0807.kub.nl' on port 9998 (this is the standard Palace Protocol port, by default it's already set on 9998). This world is a test world we set up for this project, it's currently still under construction. We will be giving support in this world, please see 'Support' for more information. If this world is down, enter 'directory.thepalace.com' at port 9998 to enter The Palace Directory world.