Get the Software:
If you don't already have QuakeII you can download a FREE trial version HERE.
CAUTION - THIS GAME IS GRAPHICALLY VIOLENT!
Using a Scale Reference of:
|container||63.5 cm (25 inches)|
|fist (across knuckles)||10 cm (4 inches)|
Collecting the Data:
(1) Place a piece of paper up to your computer's screen while the
game is running with the container in view as close as you can get.
Mark its width on a piece of paper.
(2) Print out and scale your TEXT Quake-Meter to your system;
OR print out a GRAPHIC Quake-Meter
Transfer this measurement onto the Quake-Ruler, using one mark for the ZERO point on the scale and the other for the 45° mark.
Break this "45° unit" size into nine equal parts and mark them on the scale. These smaller units will represent 5° each.
(3) Measure the angle (in degrees) of an object by holding your "Quake-Ruler" up to your computer screen and record your findings on the data sheet.
(4) Look up the tangent ratio for that angle.
(5) Divide the object's known size by the tangent ratio to get the
DISTANCE from the object.
Multiply the object's known distance by the tangent ratio to get the SIZE of the object (width, height or diameter).
Reporting back to Home Base:
(6) Record the results on the data sheet
How it works; Using the Properties of Triangles
(last updated 8/31/98 )