With the loss of Soviet aid, Cuba greatly needs foreign currency. There are many resorts in Cuba which have become very popular tourist destinations in places like Varadero.
This is a list of popular Cuban resorts:
- Cayo Largo - Isla del Sur. This fancy resort on the island east of Isla de la Juventud has 59 rooms featuring televisions, porches and a large swimming pool.
- Varadero - Sol Palmeras, Club Varadero, Hotel Tuxpán, Hotel Cuatro Palmas, Meliá de las America. These hotels are located in Varadero. Varadero, a peninsula similar to Cancun, is an extremely popular spot among tourists.
- Trinidad - Hotel Ancón, Hotel Costa Sur. These resorts offer beautiful beaches in addition to scuba diving, jet-skiing, and fishing.
- Cayo Coco - Hotel Tryp. This huge resort contains three swimming pools, satellite TV in all rooms, and offers many water sports as well. There are daily activities at the hotel. Many tourists come to this island.
- Marea del Portillo - Villa Marea del Portillo, Hotel Farallon del Caribe. These hotels, both run by joint ventures with a Canadian company, both sit right on the beach. In addition to the fancy rooms, these hotels both have swimming pools.
- Santiago de Cuba - Club LTI Carisol, Delta Balneario del Sol Club Resort, Hotel Los Corales. These beach-front resorts are both joint ventures with foreign hotel chains. Waterspouts, dancing, swimming pools, and recreational activities are all offered. These resorts are common tourist destinations.