The Hanging Gardens of Babylon were located in the ancient city of Babylon, near the city of Baghdad.
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon covered three acres of land. Many say it resembled a stadium.
The Garden was built from terraces and underneath the terraces were many rooms, used as comfort from the hot sun. Columns four feet thick supported these terraces, and the outside wall of the garden was twenty-two feet thick. At their highest point the gardens were 80 feet high. The terraces were 16 feet wide each and had a sheet of lead covering them, then soil on top of the lead, and then the bushes, flowers, and trees were planted. The gardens were watered by water drawn from the Euphrates River, through an extensive irrigation system. Beneath the terraces were a variety of rooms where the queen, whom the garden was built for, could hide from the fierce sun. In the summer these rooms were kept cool by letting water run down the sides of the walls.
Nobody knows if the Hanging Gardens ever existed, if they did, they certainly would have been a sight to behold. It is said that the gardens were built for the homesick wife of Nebuchadnezzar, who was originally from Media, a mountainous region of Persia. His wife, Amyitis, could not get used to the dry, flat countryside of Babylon. Though Babylon has since been abandoned, it has not been forgotten. Babylon had been built out of bricks made out of mud, therefore it has been a difficult task for archaeologists to prove its existence. It was in 1899 when the walls of the city of Babylon were first discovered. Since the gardens were partly made of stone, when archaeologists hit stone they believed they had uncovered the mythical gardens.
More Information on the Hanging Gardens of Babylon