What is a sentence?
A sentence is a clause expresssing a complete thought .
Remember the following points:
- Inside a sentence there is always a SUBJECT and a PREDICATE.
- The subject is the person or thing doing the action or being in the sentence
while the predicate is the actual action or statement word.
- A PHRASE (a group of words either senseless or meaningful)
can be added to
a sentence without altering the pattern of SUBJECT and PREDICATE.
- Likewise, a CLAUSE (a unit that contains a subject and predicate itself)
can be added to a sentence.
- Both a clause and a phrase are MODIFIERS in a basic sentences.
|The black dogs
|The dogs on the street
||bark all night
Top of Page