lesson: Get Real
- to help students distinguish between what is real and what claims to be real
- Give students an assignment. As they work, have them observe the way they're acting.
- Walk around the classroom with a video camera as students continue to work.
- Discuss the effect the camera had on the way they acted.
- How did they feel when they were being recorded?
- Did they behave any differently than they did when they weren't being taped?
- Discuss: How might the presence of a camera in shows like COPS and The Real World give the audience a false impression of the truth?
- to help students recognize the differences between the truth and a reenactment
- Teacher: watch a program such as Rescue 911 or America's Most Wanted that features both interviews with real people and dramatic recreations.
- record the segments of the show that are dramatic reenactments on one tape
- record the interviews with the actual people on another
- Show both tapes to the class and discuss:
- What are the differences between the actors and the real people?
- Who did you have more sympathy for?
Questions? Comments? Post them to the Teacher's BBS.