1) Which of the following is a correct statement?
Deafness is a form of mental deficiency or retardation.
Deafness is a lack of or a loss of the ability to hear and the ability to speak.
Deafness is a lack of or a loss of the ability to hear.
Deafness is a lack of or a loss of the ability to communicate with other people.
2) Sound is...
a form of speech.
electromagnetic waves, similar to radio waves.
a form of telepathy.
vibrations in the air.
3) Deafness can occur...
in the teen years or young adulthood.
in old age.
at any age.
4) True or false:
Most people who are deaf also have some degree of mental retardation.
5) True or false:
Most deaf people have perfectly normal intelligence.
6) You are speaking with a deaf person and you notice that his or her speech is different from yours. This is because...
it is very difficult to control your own voice when you cannot hear your own voice.
they probably had a very poor speech teacher.
deaf people's voices are different from hearing people's voices.
this particular deaf person is probably mentally retarded as well as deaf.
7) Which of the following statements about sign language is true?
Sign language is crude, but it does help hearing people and deaf people communicate.
Sign language is a poor substitute for a real language, but it's better than nothing.
Sign language is a beautiful and expressive form of communication.
Sign language is great because it's universal; deaf people from all over the world can communicate with one another without knowing another language.
8) Deafness can be caused by..
all of the above.
9) One type of noise that can cause deafness is...
loud rock music.
a nearby clap of thunder.
the constant "whirr" of a computer's fan.
none of the above; noise can't cause deafness.
10) Often deaf people can communicate by...
lipreading and speaking.
all of the above.
11) Which of these statements is true about deaf people driving cars?
The Deaf can't drive because they can't hear other traffic.
The Deaf can drive, but only in specially equipped cars.
The Deaf can drive and are often better drivers than hearing people, because they are more used to watching things going on around them.
The Deaf can drive, but must have a hearing person with them.
12) True or false:
All deaf people can read lips. It's a natural
get when they lose their hearing.
13) A common way for the Deaf to enjoy television is...
actors in TV movies who know sign language.
turning up their hearing aids.
none of the above; deaf people don't watch TV.
14) A TTY (sometimes called a "TDD") is...
a "picturephone" used by the Deaf so they can see each other's faces and read lips.
a keyboard and display device used together with an ordinary telephone.
a device used for sending Morse code by flashing light.
none of the above.
15) Flashing lights are commonly used in Deaf homes to signal...
a crying baby.
a ringing doorbell.
a ringing telephone.
all of the above.
16) Since deaf people often cannot hear alarm clocks, they often know when to get up in the morning by...
using an alarm clock with a vibrator.
training a dog or cat to tell time.
having a friend or relative call them on the phone.
none of the above; deaf people oversleep a lot.
17) A hearing aid cannot help a person who is...
18) Which of these body parts is NOT associated with hearing?
19) Because a deaf person might not hear the sound of a smoke detector going off in case of a fire, they...
shouldn't live alone.
should have a fire alarm which connects directly to the fire department.
should have a smoke detector with a strobe light.
should ask their neighbors to knock on their door if they hear the smoke detector going off.
20) Which of the following is true about the Deaf?
The Deaf are very different from hearing people. They don't enjoy the same activities, like watching TV, going to movies, talking on the phone, and so on.
The Deaf have mostly the same interests as hearing people, but because of their handicap, they usually just sit at home.
The Deaf are just like hearing people and they never encounter prejudice because of their deafness.
Except for the fact that they can't hear or have some degree of hearing loss, the Deaf are just like hearing people.
Hearing and Hearing Loss |Causes of Deafness| Sign Language | Living With Deafness| About the Authors | Notes, Letters, and Posted Questions