Counters are very important to most people and to most sites, they let you see how many people have
visited and so much more depending on the counter. They also can be very simple or very complex to make.
In order to help you figure out how to get a counter for your site, we have put together a short
counter tutorial. Enjoy it!
- CGI counters are by far the best and fastest type of counter, especially if you host the
cgi yourself. To check if you can use cgi, just email your host (normally firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you can use cgi, find a good counter cgi or download one from us, install it and your done. If you
can't use cgi, check out some of our free counter services below.
- Link Exchange Counters are completely free,
do not require a banner or an ad. They do however link back to LinkExchange's site, but nothing more.
Definitely a good counter.
- HitBox Top 100 Counter is another free counter, that uses java,
loads fast MOST of the time. However this counter does NOT display your hits on the page,
instead you log in to an applet and can view FULL statistics for your site, which can be a nice feature..
- Tracker is another free counter, that displays your
hits on the page, load fast (works 95% of the time) and allows you to view some statistics for your site.
It's pretty good, but not always working and only allows up to 500 hits a day.
- Many free space providers and isps, like Geocities, AOL, and Tripod offer free counters for their clients.
Try looking around your host/isp's web site or send them an email to see if they will let you use a counter
on your site.
Back to Main