Facts: Women in the World
Back to the Community page...
- Women perform 66% of the worlds work, but receive only 11%
of the world's income
- Women own 1% of the world's land
- Women make up 66% of the world's illiterate adults
- Women head 83% of single-parent families
- Women accomplish 73% of the world's social work dealing with
the elderly and the poor
- Women's presence in leadership roles is slowly
increasing, but is not even close to 50%
- Women account for 55% of all college students, which is a trend that has continued since 1979.
- The percentage of female lawyers has climbed from 15% in 1983 to 26% in 1995.
- There are 6 million more women than men in the world.
- The Los Angeles metropolitan area had the most number of women owned firms in 1992, followed closely by New York, Chicago, Washington D.C. and Philadelphia.
- The number of families nurtured by women alone rose from 5.6 million in 1970 to 12.2 million in 1995.
- The 1995 annual median earnings of women working year-round, full-time, was $22,497, while for men it was $31,496.
For more information you can look for the U.S Census Bureau site at- http://www.census.gov